Project Manager - Rail Transit & Systems
LOCATION: Bay Area - Oakland, CA
Offering Relocation, Competitive Salary and Great Benefits
Rail and Track Experience Preferred
At Ghirardelli Associates, we believe that thinking outside of the box is the spark to set innovation on fire. Ghirardelli Associates is a full-service construction management firm, with 20 years of experience providing service throughout California. Our company inspires ingenuity by providing cutting-edge solutions to our clients, with a commitment to exceptional service. We are proud to shape the communities we live in, while creating a positive environment for our associates to foster creativity and growth.
This position is located in Oakland, CA for our BART client. A project manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of construction management projects with an emphasis on rail projects including track, traction power, and rail systems. In this position, he/she is responsible for project success through all phases of the project lifecycle; from preconstruction to project closeout, including such activities as contract negotiations, cost estimates, constructability reviews, schedule and budget development, staffing, and project kick-off/partnering sessions, safety and health program, quality assurance, communications and ongoing project planning and execution. Project managers are critical to winning work and required to participate in business development activities. This role requires the capacity to effectively resolve issues; manage resources, meetings, schedules, and budgets; oversee timesheets, accounting and billing; as well as coordinate and communicate with clients, consultants, subcontractors, suppliers, team members and other stakeholders. Additionally, a project manager ensures staff obtains any necessary training, mentoring or coaching to team members to ensure their success.
Success in this role requires meeting the stated project objectives of budget, schedule, profitability, client satisfaction, and employee development. As company ambassadors, project managers are expected to execute in alignment with the company’s goals, established standard operating procedures, vision, and core values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a portfolio of track, traction power, and rail systems construction management projects with an emphasis on within the respective project scope, budget, and schedule. Technical, regulatory, safety, and funding issues related Federal Rail Administration (FRA), Federal Transit Administration (FTA), California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), NPDS compliance, CalOSHA regulations, and right of way permits.
- Track the progress of projects by defining and monitoring metrics for schedule monitoring, budget tracking and forecasting, and resource management over the life of each project.
- Provide an appropriate level of oversight for quality assurance of the project teams’ work with specific attention to proper documentation procedures, quality and timeliness of deliverables, and progress towards meeting the clients’ expectations.
- Monitor the progress of work for changes to the scope of work. Prepare or review requests for changes to the scope of work and ensure changes are fully reviewed, and approved changes are incorporated into the budget and schedule forecasts.
- Develop job estimates and supporting documentation including working papers, project descriptions and project economics summaries in support of project claims.
- Provide risk management and value engineering services for projects by reviewing project documents including preliminary studies, feasibility reports, engineering reports, environmental documents, and funding estimates to identify potential risks to project’s objectives.
- Support partners and client project managers by implementing project reporting and forecasting tools in the form of project reports, staffing reports, staffing and budget forecasts, and project funding estimates in accordance with client’s project management procedures.
- Coordinate with multiple disciplines, such as estimating, construction, environmental, operations, maintenance, land and right of way, and public relations.
- Ensure that the projects are closed out per client’s protocols and provide close-out paperwork to Business Development.
Client Relations / Business Development / Marketing
- Collaborate with marketing and business development team to target and win work with capture plan.
- Lead project teams beginning with the pre-proposal, proposal and interview stages.
- Work with business development staff in preparation of project proposals.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with the client teams, GAI associates, subcontractors, engineers, architects, consultants and key industry leaders
- Provide leadership, clear direction, expectations and ongoing feedback to project teams.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to project team members, including but not limited to standard operating procedures and protocols, documentation, core values, software tools, client relations, and the pursuit of work.
- Seek and recruit quality team members to expand the company’s expertise, experience and capacity.
- BS degree in civil or electrical engineering is required.
- MS degree in civil engineering, project management, construction management, or related field preferred.
- Registered CA Professional Engineer’s License is preferred.
- 10 to 15 years of relevant professional experience in project management, civil engineering, and rail construction
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is preferable
- Demonstrated strong team leadership skills on successfully delivered, large-scale and/or complex projects
- Demonstrated understanding of planning and scheduling techniques including earned-value management
- Strong familiarity with construction contracts, specifications, relevant codes and practices
- Demonstrated experience with project proposal and report preparation, presentation skills, mentoring and teaching team members
- Successfully managing complex projects with unrealistic schedules and impractical budgets
- Excellent client interaction and presentation skills required
- Strong experience and ability to problem solve and manage conflict
- Strong skills to plan, organize, multi-task, prioritize, and execute
- Microsoft Office experience, including strong proficiency in Excel
- Excellent influencing, mentoring and coaching skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Medical Insurance - United Healthcare and Kaiser
- Dental Insurance - MetLife
- Vision Plan - VSP
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- GlobalFit Membership
- Wellness Rewards Program
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Profit Sharing
- 401(k) Plan
- Bereavement Leave
- 9 Holidays
- Education Allowance
- Company Vehicle (depending on assignment)