Resident Engineer - Traction Power
LOCATION: Bay Area - Oakland, CA
Offering Relocation, Competitive Salary and Great Benefits
Rail and Track Experience Preferred
At Ghirardelli Associates, we believe that thinking outside of the box is the spark to set innovation on fire. Ghirardelli Associates is a full-service construction management firm, with 20 years of experience providing service throughout California. Our company inspires ingenuity by providing cutting-edge solutions to our clients, with a commitment to exceptional service. We are proud to shape the communities we live in, while creating a positive environment for our employees to foster creativity and growth. We aim to be the Employer of Choice!
The Resident Engineer will be responsible for successful completion of construction management projects involving railroad traction power systems and shall report directly to the Project Manager. This position is located in Oakland, CA for our BART client. Additional responsibilities include attending and running client and contractor meetings, reviewing plans and specifications and ensuring compliance with documents, providing project documentation in the form of letters, RFI/Submittal response, change orders, etc. field inspection, supervising project inspection teams, and providing technical guidance and quality assurance. This position requires extensive client interaction and coordination for all jobsite activities. This position requires knowledge of Roadway Worker Protection and System Access requirements in an operating railroad environment. A background check is required to obtain a badge to access project sites.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee construction projects for client in field office, studies, design and office services during construction
- Monitoring of construction contractor progress, activities, use of approved materials, use of approved equipment and piping and schedule materials testing
- Review and respond to contractor’s submittals, RFIs, letters and evaluate contractor’s suggestions for minor changes to contract requirements; review contractor’s progress schedules, certificates and operations and maintenance manuals, review and process monthly progress payments, review NOPCs and provide recommendations, review material testing data, perform independent engineer’s estimate for Change orders, negotiate change orders, keep tracing logs for RFis, submittals CCOs, and contingency balances, perform quantity take offs, read staking notes.
- Document construction progress through daily reports; conduct weekly progress meeting and prepare meeting summaries; maintain project files and prepare and process change orders.
- Prepare written documents (i.e. correspondence, proposals, reports, performance evaluations and other construction documents
- Inspect and review project to monitor compliance with the contract documents including building and safety codes, SWPPP requirements, environmental documents and other regulations
- Review site specific work plans and coordinate with client staff for approvals to obtain access to project work areas.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, preferably electrical engineering.
- Registered CA Professional Engineer’s License is preffered .
- Minimum of 4+ years demonstrate possession of the knowledge and skills, which would typically be acquired through: experience in managing Construction Projects and/or working as a resident engineer with public agencies.
- Strong communication, verbal and written are required.
- Advanced computer skills
- Strong project management and client management skills are required.
- Railroad or light rail traction power experience is highly desired.
- Ability to read and understand contract drawings
- Medical Insurance - United Healthcare and Kaiser
- Dental Insurance - MetLife
- Vision Plan - VSP
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- GlobalFit Membership
- Wellness Rewards Program
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Profit Sharing
- 401(k) Plan
- Bereavement Leave
- 9 Holidays
- Education Allowance
- Company Vehicle (depending on assignment)